No products in the cart.
- Roasted tomato basil sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped on the bias into chunks
- 2 sweet peppers, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, washed and chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons salt or more to taste
- 10 eggs
- grated lemon zest
- freshly ground black pepper
- crumbled feta cheese
- torn fresh basil or cilantro
- In a very large saucepan, or two medium pans, dry-roast the cumin seeds on high heat for two minutes. Add oil and garlic. As soon as the garlic browns, add the onions and sauté until browned.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the zucchini and peppers. Sauté for five minutes or until fork-tender.
- Add roasted tomato basil sauce, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, cilantro, sugar, and salt to the pan (or pans). Stir and taste. Add more sugar and salt if you think the sauce needs it.
- Turn the heat down to low. Make 10 wells in the pan(s) to hold the eggs. Gently crack an egg into each well. Sprinkle a little salt over the eggs. Cover the pan(s) with a lid and simmer for five minutes. Remove the lid and check on the eggs. If the whites are not set yet, cover the pan(s) for another 2-5 minutes, checking frequently. Turn the heat off and serve immediately when the egg whites are firm and no longer translucent.
- Grate a little lemon zest over the eggs or top with feta, freshly ground black pepper, or fresh herbs. Serve with crusty bread for dipping.
Source: Super Nummy