No products in the cart.
For The Dough:
- 2 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 sticks (equivalent to 1 cup) of unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup plain yogurt
For the Filling:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 package of ground chicken (you can use beef or lamb)
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
For the Egg Wash:
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
To make the Dough:
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a small bowl.
- Beat together the yoghurt and butter in a mixer (or use a bowl with an electric mixer) on medium speed until well combined.
- Mix in the flour at low speed until incorporated (the dough will be a bit sticky)
- Cut the dough into two halves and dust with flour, cover with plastic wrap, and let it chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
To make the Filling:
- In a medium sized skillet, cook the onion in the olive oil, over medium heat until softened.
- Add the ground meat, and cook stirring frequently to break up the large pieces, for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste, cayenne, salt and pepper, and mix it well so that all the meat is coated let it cook until the meat is done for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Next transfer the meat mixture into a large bowl, and stir in the remaining ingredients and let it cool.
To make the Sambousa:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C
- Roll out 1 piece of dough (keep the other half in the fridge)
- Make little balls out of the dough about 1-½ inches wide and roll them out with a rolling pin, the circle should be about 4 inches wide.
- Place a teaspoon of the meat mixture on the rolled out circle, and close the edges with you fingertips.
- Using a fork, seal the edges, and then place on the baking sheet.
- Once all of the sambousas are done, make the egg wash by whisking the egg and water.
- Next brush the egg wash over the sambousa and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Once they are done, allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving